Linkin Park lead singer Chester Bennington has died aged 41, LA County Coroner says.
The coroner said Bennington apparently hanged himself. His body was found at a private home in the county at 09:00 local time (17:00 GMT) on Thursday.
Bennington was said to be close to Soundgarden vocalist Chris Cornell, who took his own life in May.
Formed in 1996, Linkin Park have sold more than 70 million albums worldwide and have two Grammy Awards.
The band had a string of hits including Faint, In The End and Crawling, and collaborated with the rapper Jay-Z.
The album Meteora topped the Billboard 200 chart in 2003 and is regarded as one of the biggest indie rock records of all time.
Bennington leaves a wife, and six children from two marriages.
He is said to have struggled for years with alcohol and drug abuse, and has talked in the past about suicide as a result of being a victim of abuse as a child.
Bennington wrote an open letter to Chris Cornell on the latter’s death, saying: “You have inspired me in ways you could never have known… I can’t imagine a world without you in it.”
Cornell would have celebrated his 53rd birthday on Thursday. He hanged himself after a concert in Detroit on 17 May.
Band member Mike Shinoda confirmed the news of Bennington’s death on Twitter: “Shocked and heartbroken, but it’s true. An official statement will come out as soon as we have one.”
Tributes to Bennington flooded in soon after news of his death.
The band Imagine Dragons tweeted: “no words, so heartbroken. RIP Chester Bennington.”
Grime artists Stormzy, who collaborated with Linkin Park earlier this year, tweeted: “Bruv I can’t lie I’m so upset serious.”
If you are affected by the topics in this article, the Samaritans can be contacted free on 116 123 (in the UK) or by email on firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are in the US, contact the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline on 1-800-273-8255.
The story behind Linkin Park’s collaboration with Stormzy
Linkin Park: New album The Hunting Party raw and dirty
Video Linkin Park are inducted into the RockWalk in Los Angeles
Chris Cornell – so much more than a grunge star
Chris Cornell: Tributes to Soundgarden and Audioslave singer
Chris Cornell: Soundgarden star hanged himself
- New Mexico boy trips over 1.2 million year old fossil
- Meet Rob Spence, the film-maker with the camera eye
The former sports star and actor is granted parole after almost nine years in prison for armed robbery.
Huge boar shot in Alabama garden
Dali’s last great (posthumous) artwork
10 surprising things Trump just said
Boy stumbles into fossil discovery
Suited and booted: Mods today
The spectacular fall of ‘The Juice’ OJ Simpson
The martial arts club that fought back
How much has Trump achieved after six months?
Activist art tackles palm oil industry
- 1 Chester Bennington: Linkin Park vocalist ‘took his own life’
- 2 OJ Simpson to be freed from Nevada prison
- 3 Why a midwife shared a photo of blood-stained trousers
- 4 Prosthetic penis sex attacker Gayle Newland jailed
- 5 Benefit fraudster ‘too weak to walk’ climbed Kilimanjaro
- 6 Xanda, son of Cecil the lion, ‘killed by hunter’ in Zimbabwe
- 7 Brexit: UK and EU at odds over ‘exit bill’
- 8 Forced child migration ‘bigger abuse scandal than Savile’
- 9 Bitcoin swings as civil war looms
- 10 AlphaBay and Hansa dark web markets shut down
- Gigi Hadid Wears These Affordable Sneakers, Too Everlane
- Did You Know The Right Real Estate Agent Can Get… Homelight
- Marvel Comics just can’t stop making fun of Batman v… SYFY
- Leah Gibson joins season 2 of Jessica Jones, but who… SYFY
- Banks Are Furious Over Loophole To Fix Bad Credit… Lifestyle Research